Chester County Federation of Women's Clubs Records

seperator image

Collection Title: Chester County Federation of Women's Clubs Records

Collection Number: 136

Dates of Collection: 1922-1977

Repositiory: Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA

Language: English

Project Archivist: Margaret Miles Baillie


seperator image

The Chester County Federation of Women’s Clubs was established in 1914 with members pledging to make life better for family and community along “four lines of work….Civics, Education, Legislation and Reciprocity.”  The Federation was very influential in establishing many community and state projects which are common to us now.

The initial officers were President, Miss Sara R. Paiste and Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Florence Ivisan.  There were seven clubs in the charter membership.  They were:  Coatesville, Kennett Square, Oxford, Malvern, Parkesburg, Phoenixville and West Chester.  A club house was built in West Chester in 1914.  By the early 1950s, over twenty clubs were part of the organization.  In 1942, there were nineteen committees which were involved in the “four lines of work” nationally and internationally.  The number and type of committees varied according to the need.


Additional information on some of the various organizations that belonged to the Federation may be found in each individual club’s scrapbooks and/or records in the collections of the Chester County Historical Society Library. Please check with the librarian to see which organizations have records at CCHS.


Collection Contents:

seperator image
Collection Contents: 

Box 1

Folder 1:  Copy of Finding Aid and articles from CCHS Clippings File.

Folder 2: 

  • By-Laws (2 copies)
  • Treasurer’s Reports, 1953-1960
  • Annual Budgets, 1949-1952

Folder 3: 

  • Various Meeting Programs, 1939-1956
  • List of Presidents of various Chester County clubs, 1943
  • Plan submitted to the County Organizations for Continuing the Woman’s Committee Council of National Defense [n.d.]
  • 1963 Scholarship Recipient Thank You letter from Mary E. Jordan
  • Thank You card from Royer-Greaves School for the Blind [1951-2?]
  • Post card to Mrs. Van Trump, Jr. asking for info on County program chair, 1960
  • Courtesy Resolution, 1962, thanking those who made meeting a success
  • Policies of the CCF Junior Women’s Clubs, 1954
  • Fine Arts responsibilities and name of entry in Hallmark Art Talent Contest. [3p.]

Folder 4:  Minutes and Correspondence, 1934-1950 [loose documents, bound volume]

Folder 5:  Minutes and Correspondence, 1950-1962  [bound volume]


Box 2

Folder 1:  Committee Reports, 1922, 1925, 1937, 1938-1941. [3-ring notebook, loose papers]  ( 2nd Place Award Ribbon, 1939-1940, transferred to Curatorial, 10.31.2005)

Folder 2:  Committee Reports, 1942-1947. [3-ring notebook]

Folder 3: 

  • Committee Reports, 1956-1962
  • 4th Annual Conference Brochure 1960
  • Nominations for Pioneer Club Women, 1939-1940

Folder 4:  Directories 1930-1975

Folder 5:  Programs, includes:

  • Annual Meeting Programs 1938, 1956
  • State Program1960
  • Fine Arts Day Programs 1950-1977
  • Fall Meeting Programs 1955-1969
  • Spring Meeting  Programs 1955-1974
  • State Federation  of PA Women 1930-1931
  • Oxford Research Club Program 1954
  • Oxford Research Club Program Home Life Meeting 1961
  •  “Here Comes the Bride” invitation and program 1949
  • [Visitor Ribbon 1956 59th Annual Convention for Miss Elizabeth Baker, transferred to Curatorial, 11.3.2005]

Folder 6: Various publications, includes:

  • CCFWC Song Cards
  • List of CCFWC Choral Group members
  • GFWC “To Strengthen the Arm of Liberty” fold-out booklet

Folder 7: History of Club, includes:

  • Typed History of CCFWC 1914-1944
  • Typed “Dramatization of the History – Chester County Federation of Women’s Clubs”

Made Possible By: 
This project was made possible by a grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 2005